Our most popular special is back just in time for last minute gifts for your pets:
Buy three toys, treat, or chews, get one free! You can mix and match, across all departments.
Our friends over at Canine Compassion Association are looking for help to rescue and adopt cats and dogs!
- Dog food—both kibble and canned food
- Cat food—both kibble and canned food
- Cash donations to buy dog and cat food!
- Front Line or other flea/tick prevention
- Sturdy toys
- Compressed rawhide or other chew bones
- Collars—size medium and medium large
- Winter coats—size medium and large
- Dog treats
SUPPORT ANIMAL RESCUE AND WILMETTE PET CENTER
Donations can be dropped off here at our store.
- No purchase necessary. Purchase does not enhance the chance of winning.
- Void where prohibited.
- Contest is run by Wilmette Pet Center, 625 Green Bay Road, Wilmette, Illinois. Not endorsed, sponsored, or administered by Facebook.
- To enter, post a photo of your pet on the pinned post on our Facebook page, here; general pet photos found on the internet are not eligible. Contest is open until midnight, October 31st, 2020; all photos and reactions after that time will not be eligible or counted. Any photos posted in other posts will not be entered in contest.
- 1st place: $100 Wilmette Pet Gift Certificate.
- 2nd place: $50 Wilmette Pet Gift Certificate.
- 3rd place: $25 Wilmette Pet Gift Certificate.
- Winner will be chosen and announced November 1st, 2020.
- The judges are you! Winners will be chosen by the number of reactions per photo comment ending on Midnight, October 31st. Additional photos added to the original comment will not be counted, only those of the first comment. Only one prize will be awarded per family/pet.
- Personal information will only used to identify and notify winners of the contest. Winners agree to the use of their pet’s photo in any future posts or advertising.
- Odds of winning are determined by the number of photos entered into the contest.
Head over to our Facebook page to enter your pet into our online costume contest!
Raw diets are gaining in popularity for cats and dogs, and for good reason. Since that is the diet they evolved to eat, it makes sense. But a lot of people find find making their own raw diets to be too time consuming and difficult to balance properly.
That is where Stella & Chewy’s steps in! Their convenient frozen and freeze dried diets and treats are the BEST way to give your pet the nutrition they need, in a simple and easy way. With several styles of foods and various proteins, you’ll find something your pet will love!
And until October 31st, everything from Stella & Chewy’s is on sale, from kibble and wet diets to freeze dried foods, from frozen to treats! They are all available for in store pickup or free home delivery – just order on www.wilmettepet.store.
New Wholesome Grains!
The new Wholesome grain line delivers a wholesome balance of human grade meats, low-glycemic whole grains, fruits, and vegetables, and is available in both the Raw Blended and the Raw Coated lines.
Save big on all dry dog foods – including the new Wholesome Grain line!
Save $5 off 3.5 lb bags,
Save $10 off 10 lb and 22 lb bags!
And we haven’t forgotten about our feline friends!
Super premium, high-protein, grain-free kibble solutions that are carefully coated with our irresistible freeze-dried raw to fuel your cat’s wild side. Recipes include responsibly sourced proteins, guaranteed probiotics for optimal digestion, and are rich in omega fatty acids for healthy skin and coat. See all the flavors here.
We’re taking $2.50 off 2.5 lb bags and $5.00 off of 5 lb bags of all Stella & Chewy’s cat kibble diets!
Save on all Stella & Chewy’s wet cat and dog foods!
Stella & Chewy’s Dinner Dust is a perfect topper to sprinkle on dog food for picky pets. Made with the highest quality ingredients, it’ll make mealtime more exciting and tempting!
We’re thrilled to introduce a brand new treat line that’s the first of its kind for Stella & Chewy’s: soft and chewy training treats! With bacon as the #1 ingredient, your dog is sure to love our Crav’n Bac’n Bites.
Hemp Oil Supplement Chews are 100% THC-free and crafted with just the right ingredients to help your dog thrive. Each broad spectrum chew contains 3mg CBD and is water soluble for maximum absorption. We use carefully selected and responsibly sourced ingredients to ensure a safe product to offer natural relief.
Stella & Chewy’s Freeze Dried Raw Single Ingredient treats offer a high-value, high protein, bite sized treat that packs the power of raw nutrition in an allergy friendly treat. Made with grass-fed beef and lamb, and cage-free chicken with no antibiotics or added hormones. These formulas are made with the highest quality ingredients with no fillers or preservatives so you dog will get only the good stuff.
Sales prices are good until 10/31/20, are available both online and instore, and cannot be combined with any other offers.
Starting Monday, September 14th, we are returning to our normal opening hours.
It’s that time of year: As summer begins, the weather often takes a rough turn, and even though the official fireworks displays have been cancelled, people are still setting them off and scaring our babies (and some of us, too).
The loud noises, lightening, and air pressure changes during storms can be too much for some dogs, sending them quaking in fear. Some dogs bark, whine, or pace. Some become destructive in their attempts to hide. And while it can be difficult for us, because we can’t explain that they’re safe, we have some solutions and tips to help everyone get through it.
Herbsmith Calm Shen – This calming blend of Chinese herbs help maintain relaxation and relieve stress by bringing the body back into natural balance. Calm Shen is not an immediate solution, as it needs to time become effective, so start using it when the weather begins to warm up and use the whole time they may be exposed to thunder. See the ingredients and the theory behind Chinese medicine here.
Thundershirt – Similar to swaddling a baby, the Thundershirt exerts a gentle, constant pressure to help calm and relax your dog. It is vet recommended, drug free, and easy to use. Read more here.
Pheromones – Pheromones are scentless chemical messengers mother dog’s bodies produce to calm their puppies. They are clinically proven effective to reduce stress, and come in collars and crate sprays, like those offered by Sentry, or in a room diffuser from Adaptil.
CBD oil has been in the news a lot as a natural way to reduce stress and alleviate pain – and for good reason, because it works! CBD is the non-psychotropic component from the hemp plant; as it’s free of THC, which comes from the marijuana plant, they don’t get high from it.
Super Snouts offers veterinarian formulated, pharmaceutical grade CBD oils in a variety of products, from supplements that help skin and coat and immune boosting formulas, to capsules, tinctures, and balms.
Combine the best of two worlds for the best in stress relief!
Spread Super Snout’s CBD peanut butter over the Hyper Pet Lickimat.
Licking is a very soothing activity for dogs pet and releases calming endorphins into the body. Combine that with the calming effects of CBD for a truly effective solution for stress and loud noise fears.
Some tips that can help:
1. Prepare them for loud noises like fireworks and thunderstorms before they arrive. There are some things you can do to help prepare them for it – starting to calm them as the thunder booms is not going to be nearly as effective.
Start them as young as possible. Practice getting your dog to settle on command; use a special inside leash and teach them to lie calmly at your feet. Praise and treat them when they are calm. When they learn the routine, it helps them know what to do when the storm comes up. Getting them used to their crate helps give them a sense of security later when they need it.
Some desensitize their pets to thunderstorms by playing CDs of thunderstorm recordings and getting them used to it. Do it during quiet times (like the winter) and slowly increase the volume over time while rewarding their calm behavior. It does only address one of the aspects of storms that can bother dogs, but it can still help reduce their stress.
2. Communicate in a way that our dogs understand. Dogs take their cues on how to act from the most important person in their life: YOU. We all have this natural reaction when our dogs are nervous or afraid to speak to them in a soft, high pitch voice. To other people that sounds comforting and reassuring. To a dog, though, you now sound nervous and afraid, so they become more anxious. One dog trainer we’ve worked in the past recommends, especially for her female clients, to drop their voice an octave or two, and to speak very calmly and matter-of-fact. Now, since you sound calm and collected, your dog can relax some, too.
This technique even works when scared and nervous dogs come in to the store. Nervous dogs often change their demeanor and body language when a deeper, less nervous sounding voice is used.
3. Distraction. Plain and simple, keep their minds and bodies engaged to help distract them from the sounds. Offer to play with them with their favorite toy or game, petting, and offering their favorite treats – as long as they stay calm. A Kong, stuffed with healthy treats, can keep them busily chewing instead of worrying (see some recipes here). Playing louder music or white noise can compete with the sound of the thunderstorm and help them ignore it.
4. Safe place. This can be a crate, the basement, or another room where they feel safe. Allow them to choose the space, and don’t keep them confined, as that can increase their stress. Watch were they like to go and try to make it dark, cozy, and shielded from the light and the noise of the storm. A locked room can also prevent a panicking animal from bolting outside should the door unexpectedly opened.
5. Last resort, seek professional help. There are many different dog training methods out there, and some of them, like Tellington TTouch, may be of help to reduce tension and stress. A trip to the vet may be in order for medications; although many prefer to stay drug free, some dogs may need to use medication when all else fails to help ease the stress of loud noises. It can, with some other changes in environment, make all the difference and reduce everyone’s stress.
Wilmette Pet Center has always been proud to be such a big part of this community. As such, we feel we have a responsibility to safeguard the health of our customers and our staff. In this light, we would like to point out the changes in our store do help keep everyone safe and healthy:
- All staff members will always wear protective gloves, while using hand sanitizer and frequent hand washing.
- Any staff member not feeling their best is staying home. We’re also asking the same of any customer, as per the CDC guidelines. Please, take advantage of our free same day delivery and NEW curb side pick up.
Give us a call at 847-251-6750 and let us know what you need. When we have it ready, come by, let us know you’re outside, and we’ll be more than happy to bring it out to you.
- All staff members are keeping a safe social distance from each other and customers as per the CDC guidelines.
- Cleanliness is a vital part of our store during normal times, but during this period we are increasing the frequency we disinfect the counters, credit card terminals, door handles, bathrooms, shopping baskets, registers, phones, and anything else that gets touched.
- We have hand sanitizer though out the store, and soap by both of our sinks, and stations with alcohol and paper towels for everyone to use.
- Although there is no known source of covid-19 in animals, to increase social distances the handling or touching of animals is limited to increase social distancing. Deep disinfection of cages has always been our routine, and we have increased the frequency.
We are reducing store hours, but
we will stay open.
Monday through Friday we are opening at 10 and closing at 6.
Our weekend hours are staying the same – Saturday from 10 – 6 and Sunday from 11 – 5.
We have foods, we have supplies, and are getting more every day. Our vendors and companies are committed to keeping us stocked so that everyone can get the supplies they need.
We would like to personally thank each and every customer for their continued support during this difficult time – We deeply appreciate the loyalty of our customers . We truly have the best customers. With everyone working together and being safe and smart, we will get through this together.
Thank you for your continued support, and please stay safe.