The weather has changed and we’re all breaking out of our winter doldrums and getting outside! But with the heat comes some special considerations for our pets. Keep these tips in mind:
- Walk your dog in the early morning and evening, when the temperature is cooler.
- Provide plenty of shade and fresh water for dogs outside, and consider bringing them in when the weather gets really hot.
- To help cool down a dog, splash their paws with water. Take alcohol wipes on walks and wipe pads. This will help them shed excess heat.
- Give your dog a new do! A shorter haircut right now will do a lot to help keep them cool.
- Never leave your dog in a parked car. Even with windows cracked, the temperature inside a car can reach fatal levels quickly (in many states, it’s illegal to leave a dog in a car, and in some people can break windows to rescue distressed animals.)
- Some dogs get very frightened during these big thunderstorms we have, or during firework displays on the 4th of July. Consider trying the Thundershirt. The Thundershirt’s gentle, constant pressure has been shown to help calm dogs that are fearful, anxious, or over excited.
- When doing work on your car, be sure to keep pets away from spilled antifreeze. Antifreeze is the most common form of poisoning in pets. If you notice any symptoms and suspect antifreeze, take your pet to the vet immediately; for more information, check out PetMD.
Since dogs don’t sweat, it can be hard for them to keep cool in the summer heat. Frozen bones not only help keep them cool but make a great way to keep them busy, too – they’re in the freezer back in the dog food section. Try stuffing and freezing the classic Kong. There are a ton of things you can stuff inside: mix some of your favorite dry kibble and canned food, canned tuna, scrambled eggs and beef, or try a “Cheesy Elvis”. For the recipe and more ideas check out our website here. For a longer lasting treat, place a stuffed Kong in a tupperware dish, fill with low sodium chicken or beef broth, and freeze the whole thing. They then have to work their way through the flavored ice, to get to the Kong, to then work at the fantastic frozen filling.